Saturday, June 11, 2011

Keep It Movin

"Keep it movin" was a turn of phrase Coco, a co-worker of mine, used frequently. Usually in reference to us pushing cases through our queue at work. But I found I adopted it during internal dialogue with myself.

The more immersed I became in adopting green actions, the more publications, blogs, books and documentaries I viewed. I stumbled across the Tiny House Movement. Specifically, the first main example I spotted was Tumbleweed Houses. I thought they were lovely, but wanted to see one in person.

I contacted Tumbleweed directly to see if they could put me in touch with a local Tumbleweed House owner, Dee Williams. They wrote back a few days later letting me know that I could get a hold of her through Portland Alternative Dwellings, a company she had started.

Dee Williams is one of the first Tumbleweed House builders. She built hers by hand for about $10,000.00, using mostly reclaimed materials. I requested to meet her and see her house in person and she agreed.

Meeting her was delightful, Dee was informative and friendly. She made a number of suggestions and answered my many questions how living in a tiny home had affected her life, dating and work. There are a number of videos of Dee and her home. I have to say she was an inspiration for me to consider living in a tiny home was possible.

So, the seed was planted, I realized I had to keep it movin. Otherwise, this was going to end up being a pipe dream. How was I going to get out of my house, in this housing market to get into a tiny house?

No comments:

Post a Comment